This one has a folk-song kind of tune to it:
I’ve had a life that’s lovely
And I’ve lived each day in full.
But lately I just can’t deny
The feeling of a pull
To look into my future
With perspective of my past.
Which leads me to conclude
That my time has come at last.
Some people may be saying
That I’m still too young to go.
But I’m the one who’s lived this life
I should be the one to know.
And now I must confide to you,
My dear and trusted friend-
It’s been a pleasant story
But I’m skippin’ to the end.
I’ve walked the streets of poverty,
And asked for many hands.
I’ve traveled far across the world,
Seen lots of different lands.
I’ve baked under the tropic sun
And been locked out in the cold.
Spent some time with troubled kids
And listened to the old.
It's time I must confide to you,
My dear and trusted friend-
It’s been a pleasant story
But I’m skippin’ to the end.
I’ve befriended many strangers,
Felt so full my heart could burst.
Made my share of foolish moves,
Been so lonely that it hurts.
I’ve loved most everyone I’ve met
Though never met "The One."
Never shacked up, never married,
Had no daughter nor a son.
But I prayed to God to keep life good
And keep me living well.
He kept up on the bargain-
Got some stories I could tell.
Don’t you shed a tear about me
I’ll be quite all right.
You’ll see my face inside the moon
That smiles every night.
But now I must confide to you,
My dear and trusted friend-
It’s been a pleasant story
But I’m skippin’ to the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ooh. This is lovely. I can really imagine it set to music.
ReplyDeleteSounds suicidal. Don't think too much on that sort.
ReplyDeleteAs always, thanks for your comments, Melissa and mystery visitor. It's like getting a present every time I find out people actually read this stuff!
ReplyDeleteThough the poem did take on a "suicidal persona" it wasn't inspired by any current suicidal ideation. It was, however, inspired by a real-live near death experience while I (though a consistently morbidly-oriented person anyways) was on my bike.