Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Six most important things

Poking around other people's blogs I see many listing the 6 most important things in life. This list was much harder to create than I thought, but I gave it a shot anyway.

Six most important things-

1. My family. Without them, I do not know who I would be. They are the people who ground me, who launch me, who give me an identity, and who bring me sanity despite our insane ways. When I hear stories about people who don’t know their family or who don’t get along with their family members it gives me a profound sense of sadness that they are missing the joy and connection that comes from blood bonds, as well as fills me with a sobering thankfulness for what my family is to me.

2. Faith- It's just as important to work for and to maintain as it is to just have.

3. Health- Good health. Both mental and physical. For all, but especially for the fam, the loved ones, and myself.

4. Opportunities- I feel like I have had so many incredible and just-plain-awesome opportunities that wonderfully illustrate the pages of my life story. I am thankful I also have a mind that seeks opportunities and that strives to make a path out of a dead end.

5. Humor- Seriously.

It’s so hard to come up with a sixth. I feel like there are all these things crowding in the depths of my brain and at the tips of my fingers trying to push their ways to realization as #6. I feel like if I don’t list something, it won’t be seen as important. I could put sooo many things in this last spot, from Sudafed, to strong legs, to prayer, to high yield savings accounts. But, alas:

6. Human connection- I’m talkin’ the whole continuum of connection. It’s such a fulfilling thing to feel the power of sharing something with others; friends, family, community members, strangers, teammates. I'm thinking of human connection in all its forms- Good conversation. Inspiration. Kissing. A genuine hug. Comfortable silence. Forgiveness. Being part of a crowd. Mutual aide. Winking. Chemistry. Cooperation. Taking you to the airport at 4:30 am. Finding clarification amidst an argument. Playing bocce ball on a foggy afternoon. Just shootin’ the breeze..... The many years I didn’t think of other people as important things were the most difficult and unhappiest years of my existence. Letting people into my life has been an amazing, amazing thing.

4 comments:

  1. Great list, Angela. I really should have put more thught into mine. There are sooo many important things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a doppelganger second list of 6 most important things in my life that hides in the shadows of the blog (aka Facebook). I thought people would think it was superficial, so I left it out. But it goes a little somethin' like this:

    1. My cat
    2. Chocolate Frosting
    3. My bike
    4. Benedryl (for those many sleepless nights)
    5. Good oral hygiene
    6. United States Postal Service (included in that is getting mail, the non-junk variety)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good humour! I never thought of it, but of course, it's absolutely vital!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with humor being vital. I am always amazed by how many people there are who DON'T laugh.

    ReplyDelete