I love this poem for so many reasons. One of the main reasons actually is not because it's about rainbows (which I do LOVE LOVE LOVE), but mostly because of the fact that I was inspired to write this epic poem when I was taking a math test (out of all the inspiring things I have done in my lifetime...). It took a loooooong time before I was able to share it with others because I feel like it's one of those poems that's that personal. Out of all of the bazillions of things I have written, I continue to love this one more and more each time I read it- every time I find a new meaning, metaphor, or some parallel to my life in it that I didn't even intend.
So, *deep breath* here it goes....
The Rainbow Poem
Once upon a windy day the rain was falling mad,
I happened to look out and see a man who seemed quite glad.
I watched the guy for quite while as he played around.
He ran about, got sopping wet, splashed puddles on the ground.
He seemed so free to be out there, yet here I sit and look.
But cold is he and warm and I, with my fire and my book.
But I wonder what he make-believes, as I watch him more;
He seems content as he runs 'round in cats and dogs galore.
Pretty soon my fire dies, my book begins to close,
And I wonder what it would be like to play in what he knows.
Dancing to the raindrops' drip and spinning in the wind,
Storming rain and happiness make up his prefect blend.
I set my book atop the stove and walk outside the door,
Though I don't think he noticed me- he just danced some more.
I watched him as I took a step up closer towards the rain.
He spun around much faster then and splashed and splashed again.
I waved and whooped and called for him, for him to look and see.
He could be deaf, or mute, or blind, or just ignoring me.
I want to know just why he dances 'round and 'round like this.
What is it about the storm that gives this man such bliss?
I called some more and waved my arms in hopes to catch his eye.
He did not look, not once my way, and I want to know why.
I took a cautious partial step, now halfway in the rain.
I swear he looked in my direction as he spun again.
Another step, now I was wet and no more on the stoop.
My clothes got sopped, my make-up smeared, my hair began to droop.
I looked back at my big white home, my book sat on the stove.
My house seemed to move so far away as further in I dove
Into the rain. I did not care if I got further wet.
Although I must admit I though- the rain's nothing to fret.
I crept up closer to him, excited, cautiously.
He pranced around and then he stopped and stared. He stared at me!
He stood there like a statue with a smile on his face.
But I could tell, still as he was, his spirit gleamed with grace.
The pounding of the rain was loud, the rushing of the wind was low,
I inched right up to where he stood. As he bowed deep, I shyed, "hello."
"A rainbow's coming," he smiled proud, as he began to sway.
I looked above so high, confused…there's sure no sun today.
"A rainbow? No sir, not today. Today there is just rain!"
And then he twirled and danced around and splashed the drops again.
A rainbow? On a day like this? HA! This guy must be insane!
Without a doubt he kept on spinning 'round about again.
I couldn't help to stop and think how rainbows could be here…
Why they seemed so near to him I found to be quite queer.
I looked at him, then looked above…I saw gray cloudy sky.
"Don't wait for it," he called to me. "Don't ask it ever why."
"Why," I asked with questioned faith. He stopped in middle turn.
"Don't ever ask when rainbows come, or when the sun will burn.
Be happy that it will be here, even if it's not.
Colors come if you believe; find good in what you've got."
He stood and smiled, breathing hard, a spark shined in his eyes.
In some strange way, with what he said, he answered all my "whys:"
Good things come if I believe, said that trusting dancing soul.
A rainy day would be rewarded with a rainbow goal.
All colors would beam brilliantly across the cloudy gray,
While living free so happily despite the storms that stay.
He said, "splash around if you should feel a rainbow's gonna come,
'Cause if you don't then you'll be sad if grayish skies show none.
But if you dance then you feel good, regardless of the day.
You should celebrate just as you can and live in your own way."
So this is why he spins around regardless of the drop.
Because the colors could come 'round gives reason not to stop.
Hope gives reason not to stop, the hope that the rainbow
Is always burning in the sky, despite the clouds that show.
I look back towards my warm, dry house and my closed-up book
And I don't feel so cold and wet now from this choice I took.
I'm standing here out in the rain and with this crazy man.
I too should dance, to bring the arch, because I know I can.
I'll spin around for what may come, I'll dance for what may be.
I'll prance about for what there is, for now I feel so free!
I forgot about the wind and wet and likewise of the guy.
The stormyness had left my head, and so did every "why."
I lost touch of all my reasoning as I splashed around,
And didn't care just where I was, that I was even on the ground.
I did not know what I was thinking, or if I even think.
I'd found new life within this water, this water that we drink.
A rainbow's coming, yes indeed, I feel it very near.
In fact I can quite surely say I do believe it's here.
The rainbow here resides within, inside my very soul.
I've reached by dancing free around my colored rainbow goal!
Spinning, spinning, twirling 'round… where did I begin?
And why was I so blind to see this beauty here within?
My house now seems so far away, the fire out, book's shut.
I do not think I will return; through puddles now I strut.
"Thank you sir…" where has he gone? I've opened up my eyes!
He's disappeared, that happy man, that rainbow in disguise.
And now I stare at someone new as she approaches me.
She says "hello," I take a bow, so deep and willingly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is a really lovely poem, Angela. I especially like your vivid descriptions. As I read I could feel myself out in the rain, dancing!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Melissa! One time I read this to a class and one of my classmates told me later, "I totally saw myself as the person dancing." It was so cool to hear.
ReplyDelete