Sunday, January 17, 2010

Really, I can stop at any time....

Just for fun I found an "are you an alcoholic" survey and substituted my own biggest vice. The ONLY thing that was altered w/ the whole survey was I changed "drink/drinking" to "work/working." Though shocking, the results are exactly as I suspected. At first I thought it was all just funny, but then I wondered to myself if that was actually a sign of denial:

-Can you handle more workloads now than you first started working?
Yes

-Do you sometimes feel a little guilty about your working?
Yes

-Has a family member or close friend ever expressed concern or complained about your working?
Oh boy- A definite yes.

-Have you tried switching jobs or companies, or following different plans to control your working?
Yes. For every one job I get laid off of, I wind up acquiring two new positions.

-Have you ever had a Driving traffic ticket or any legal problem related to your working?
Yes, only once, but I was really late!

-Are you having more financial, work, school, and/or family problems as a result of your working?
Sometimes I don't do chores, neglect my cat, I don't date, I feel like I can never have enough money, and I want to take fun classes at HSU but they don't fit with my work schedule.

-Have you recently noticed that you can't work as much as you used to?
No.

-Do you ever feel depressed or anxious before, during, or after periods of heavy work loads?
Yes. It's a predictable cycle, really.

-Have any of your blood relatives had a problem with working too much?
Yes

(According to the National Council on Workaholism, if you answer yes to any one question you are at great risk for workaholism and answer more than one and you need to seek treatment).

Still not convinced you have a working problem? The final test is brought to us by John Hopkins University and their Medical School. If you don't believe the results of this one, then we need to send people for you wearing little white jackets. This one is so accurate it goes off the charts. If you fail to recognize this one you are in total denial and you need to seek help immediately.

1. Do you lose time from work due to working?
Yes. I have had to re-arrange schedules or put off work from one job to take care of another job.

2. Is working making your home life unhappy?
My cat gets neglected, my laundry needs to get done, and I have been single for the last two years.

3. Do you work because you are shy with other people?
Sometimes I use it as an excuse to get out of social things I don't want to do....

4. Is working effecting your reputation?
LOL! Yes!!!
(But it also builds the resume... is that another sign of denial?)

5. Have you ever felt remorse after taking on a new job?
Yes- "why did I say yes to this?!"

6. Have you ever gotten into financial difficulties as a result of your working?
Yes. They don't pay me enough.

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when working?
I need more clarification.... I don't want to be "Un-PC" with this question considering I used to partner w/ the welfare department ;)

8. Does your working make you careless of your family's welfare?
Refer back to neglected cat, single for the last two years, use work as an excuse to skip out on social events.

9. Has your ambition decreased since working?
Humm…. In some ways yes, some ways no

10. Do you crave working at a definite time daily?
Yes, but more like all the time

11. Do you want to work the next morning?
Yes.

12. Does your working cause you to have difficulties in sleeping?
YES!

13. Has your efficiency decreased since working?
In some ways no- I'm more efficient and productive, in some ways yes- I get burned out.

14. Is your working jeopardizing your job or business?
No. They like it.. and that's why I keep getting offered jobs.

15. Do you work to escape from worries or troubles?
Yes

16. Do you work alone?
Yes

17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory?
I forget appointments, birthdays, where I put my phone, and things on my to-do list sometimes.

18. Has your physician ever treated you for working?
No health insurance to see a shrink. But I'm sure they would give me a survey really similar to this one....

19. Do you work to build your self confidence?
Yes

20. Have you ever been in a hospital or institution on account of working?
Once in the peace corps I broke my wrist teaching kids in my youth group how to rollerskate and was sent to the hospital....

http://www.manorhouserehab.com/drinking-problem.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment