Playing Memory Lane is funny. I found this poem in a diary from when I was in Costa Rica and it made me laugh. I have the crisp memory of feeling inspired to write it, putting the pen down on paper, and then reading it over, hearing a medium tempo jazzy beat in my head, and a having a soft-lensed vision of me as some swanky singer in a night club. Lots of free time = lots of things to imagine, I guess.
Since I was a little girl
I've been saving up my love
For the man who wants to show me
What it feels like flyin' above.
Oh, I've been with some lovers
And some stories, yes I've had.
And I've stayed up late nights cryin'
Over men who have treated me bad.
But I've felt it's never been worth it
To give up one hundred percent
Of the love I have been savin'
Even though my heart's been spent.
So I've been saving up my lovin'
And today is my rainy day.
I'm gonna spend it all on my baby;
I'm gonna cash it in right away.
Some people spend their whole life
Savin' up for their rainy days.
Some people waste their credit
On the debts they have to pay.
But I've been sittin' on my bank
And waitin' for the time
That I can empty out my funds
Down to the last shiny dime.
Although some guys seemed worth it,
No single one was the best.
But tonight my baby's comin' home
And boy, I'm gonna invest!
'Cause today is my rainy day
And as soon as he walks through that door…
I can feel the storm a comin'
And baby it's gonna pour!
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment